Thursday, February 19, 2009

Penelope & Odysseus


After nurse Eurycleia noticed a scar of mine when I got at a very young age, she ran with a heart filled with happiness and astonishment, to search for Penelope. There I was leaning against a pillar, I lifted my eyes only to meet hers with a reation I was not expecting she just stood there with big, teary eyes. After decades of my no return, she was dazed, thinking it must be a hoax which is when my son, Telemachus voice whispered softly in her ears "Mother, is this what you wished? To be separated from my father? Why won't question him? Your heart is hard as stone!" ending in tears. Penelope replied, "I am dazed, my child. I cannot speak or question him. If it is really my love, we know secret signs because we know eachother better than anyone else." A smile appeared on my face as I turn to Telemachus and say "Calm down, if your mother wants to test me; let her. She can't tell due to these tatters, rags and dirt. Let me bathe and put on fresh clothes."
Eurynome bathed me and used golden oil, Athena made me more beatiful; head to toe. She made me taller, more massive, and my hair more curlier. Then she faced Penelope and said "The immortals made you harder than anyone else. Nurse, make me a bed for Penelope's heart is iron to her chest" That was when she turned to converse with Odysseus saying "I do not wish to yell at you, but eurycleia with make your bed and place it outside of the bedchamber, where Odysseus created with his own two hands. Pile the bed with fleeces, rugs and the finest sheets there is." Saying that triggered Odysseus to reach his boiling point. Without thinking, Odysseus shouted angerly "WHO DARED TO MOVE MY BED? NO BUILDER HAD ENOUGH SKILLS TO DO THAT, UNLESS HE HAD HELP FROM A GOD! NO MORTAL COULD EVEN MOVE WITH WITH A CROWBAR! THAT WAS MY HANDIWORK, NO ONE ELSE'S!!" Penelope then turned to me and embraced with her love, right then and there she knew it was I, Odysseus and continued speaking "DO NOT YELL AT ME! NO ONE EVER MATCHED TO YOUR SKILLS. Forgive me, Odysseus. I could not tell at first, and I vowed to never fall for tricks, or impersonators who might come. No one has ever laid eyes on our bed except my own slave, for I knew it was our secret sign." After everything I did to reach Penelope and Telemachus, it finally happened. My eyes then were overflowing with tears. I knew Penelope would remain faithful. After 20 whole years I am finally with my family, and alas I am happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment